Get involved – how to start a scheme
If you are interested in starting a scheme in your area, simply follow these 6 steps:
- A Parish Council, or a Formal Action Group, within Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland must request to become part of the scheme. Register your interest with the Community Speed Watch Co-ordinator on 0116 3057233 or click here to get in touch.
- There must be a suitable and safe area(s) for the speed checks to be held. The final say is with the Community Speed Watch Co-ordinator after consultation with the local co-ordinator.
- There must be a minimum of 200 signatures obtained or 20% of the village/location population (whichever is the lower) to support the scheme. A Pledge document is available for downloading: please click here to download (PDF format). If you need further advice contact the Community Speed Watch Co-ordinator.
- There must be between 6 and 16 people to take part as Community Speed Watch Volunteers, the more there are the easier it is to operate. One volunteer should be identified as a co-ordinator and another as a deputy. The co-ordinator should have access to e-mail and one member of the group should be able to complete a spreadsheet in a timely manner.
- Identify a site locally for the training to take place, Parish Rooms or Halls have been used and are ideal but the trainers are very flexible with locations.
- When all the above is in place the Parish Council or Formal Action Group can contact the Community Speed Watch Coordinator to agree a start date.